Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bringing me back

S: Deuteronomy 30:4
"Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and bring you back."

O: We are faced with blessings and curses and may even distance ourselves so far from God that we even feel exiled from Him. But God made a promise. If we return to the Lord and obey Him, then He will gather us up and bring us back to Him. In verse six, God also promises to tranform our hearts to love Him with all our hearts and all our souls, and live.

A: I used to think the Old Testament showed only an angry and vengeful God, but as I read I find that He is pained by our sins, but he truly is a loving and forgiving God. Sometimes, I forget to bring God into my day. Days go by where I rely on myself and battle on, denying God the relationship he so desires. And then I realize this and pray for forgiveness, encouragement, and discipline to grow in Christ. And every time, God meets me, no matter how far away I feel, and brings me back. It doesn't say he will only do this once, and I am sure God wishes he didn't have to do it more than once if at all. But I am so grateful for his love and patience as he transforms me. I know he can transform me entirely in an instant if that is his will, and sometimes I wish it were, but realize that as I struggle, my desire and conviction to know him grows more and more.

P: Father God, thank you for always bringing me back and each time bringing me closer to you. Thank you for the shaping and teaching you have been doing in me and I hope the changes in me are apparent to my family and friends who still do not know you. Lord, help me to continue to become more disciplined to know you better and to know your will.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    I love what you said about the Old Testament because that's what I used to feel also. It was only when I read the Bible in its entirety that I was able to see God's love there also AND (like you said) how much God is pained when we disobey.
    My prayer is similar to yours and also that I recognize and seize opportunities to share why these changes have happened ---but do this with gentleness and respect. I am going to visit friends in a couple of months, most of whom I have not seen in almost ten years. Pray for me!
    -TRG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this today. Isn't it great that God always is waiting for us? :) It's always good to hear this reminder.

    As a side note, I called my friend, A, yesterday & left a message. She works today, but hopefully she will call me back later this week. I continue to pray for her though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this, Sharon. I enjoyed thinking on the verse you picked.

    ReplyDelete