Sunday, March 28, 2010

Don't be a gong or a cymbal!

S-cripture: I Corinthians 13:1 = If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging symbol.

O-bservation: The emphasis here in this chapter is LOVE, of course. Our words mean nothing, our actions mean nothing, even our faith means nothing if we don't have or show love to others. God wants every aspect of our lives to be filled with love.

A-pplication: In today's reading plan, there was a verse from Psalm 39 that struck me, after reading I Corin. 13. In Psalm 39:1 it says, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence." While I initially agreed, it is better to "not say anything, if you can't say something nice." However, I don't think God wants me to be silent all the time, which is what I naturally tend to do when I am around people I don't feel comfortable with, people who are unkind, or people who obviously don't love God. I felt God telling me, "Stop letting people bug you...stop closing up when you are around them!" Instead, I felt reminded that if I'm closing up that probably means I'm not being very loving with the people around me. So, I will need to pray more diligently about that, so I can display God's more genuinely....and not just fake being loving or kind, or else I risk sounding like a gong or cymbal....and who wants to be that?

P-rayer: Father God, I'm sorry for withdrawing from the world when I don't feel loving. Please fill my cup with your Spirit, so that when I do speak, You are present in my words and actions.
Thanking You for speaking with me today through your almighty word. And, help me to be more loving with my neighbors, both the nice ones and the not so nice ones...help me to display your love to the ones You want me to build better relationships with or who need to feel your presence or who need to be introduced to You! I am committed to serving you and fulfilling your will. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, good points. I think a clanging cymbal is one who says things out of habit or ritual or so they can mark an item off on their checklist. The opposite of speaking like a clanging cymbal is to put Agape Love into it. -Dan Shoe

    ReplyDelete