Monday, March 29, 2010

Spiritual Gifts to Build Up

S - Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. (1 Corinthians 14:1)
Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church. (1 Corinthians 14: 12)

O - I have always believed that God gives spiritual gifts to all believers. But here I see it saying that you need to eagerly desire them (seek them out) and see how God has gifted you. They don't always just fall in your lap. It is also saying that some gifts don't build up the church. I always naturally assumed that spiritual gifts were spiritual gifts & everyone gets what they get - and they were all equal. It seems like Paul is saying that ones that build the church - other believers - up are to be more highly desired. But, then couldn't many of the gifts be used in such a way that they do build others up?

A - Today, I will reflect on how I use the spiritual gifts that God has given me to build others in the church up. I haven't found my gifts to change much over the past 15 years. But I do find it good to review them & remind myself of how I serve God with them and things I need to remember to be careful of.

P - Dear God,
Thank you for how you have given me spiritual gifts and continued to grow me in using them for your glory. I ask for your forgiveness for when I haven't recognized you as the source of my abilities. I pray that you would continue to use me and develop in me the spiritual gifts that you have given me and that they would be used to build others up in love and in their relationship with you.
In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

What are your spiritual gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment