Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thirsty

S: Psalm 42

O: In this psalm, King David's soul is downcast, disturbed, and dry.  Though he once lead people to the house of God with joy and thanksgiving, he is now being oppressed and is unable to meet with God.  Yet despite the dry state of his soul, he praises the Lord.

A: There are times--perhaps days, months, even years--when we experience a dry phase in our spiritual life.  We long to hear from God--we thirst for him--yet he seems to have forgotten us, and like King David we ask, "When can I go and meet with God?"

The past few days have been a dry spell for me.  Even now, I am having trouble coming up with an Application.  Why does God allow us to become dry?  Perhaps it is to remind us how much we need him, or to teach us something, or to reveal a sin in our life that we need to turn from (see John 4:13-18.)  I'm still in the process of figuring it out, and as I do, like King David I will praise God for all he has done for me in the past, knowing he will not leave me thirsty.

P: Lord God, I praise you for all you have done in my life and ask for you to guide me during this dry phase I am going through.

How do you get through your dry phases?

3 comments:

  1. Lisa & I were having dinner the other night at a restaurant. It was a rare occasion for us to be there w/o the kids. It was after a long day of work and I was exhausted. I enjoyed being with Lisa and the quiet dinner we had. We didn't have too much conversation --- it was a bit on the dry side. But I was grateful that I could be with the one I love. I don't always know why God gives us times of dryness, but I know He does. We need to trust Him during those times & not do anything rash & sinful simply to relieve the dryness. You are seeking Him and in His Word and I have full confidence that you will experience times of refreshing in the days to come. I'm thankful that we can be a part of a church body where there is this kind of biblical authenticity present --- where we don't feel pressured to always be "up" and on a spiritual high. Thanks for sharing w/ honesty in the spirit of Psalm 42.

    Sunny
    p.s. I've tried to post comments on this blog but w/o success -- today is the first time it's worked (I think it's because I'm doing it from my work computer)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes those dry periods can be years...

    I like what Sunny said, and marriage is a really good illustration. A lot of what makes marriage work is the underlying steadfast commitment that no matter what ('in sickness and in health, richer or poorer,' etc.) I am choosing to stick with this person and (heaven knows why) this person is choosing to stick with me!

    A verse that finally led me out of a couple years of dry time and internal anguish was John 6:68 "Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.""

    That really rang true for me, and despite whatever dryness, depression, anguish I was feeling, I knew that Jesus and His words was the only place that I could turn to and find eternal life. There is no substitute, and many times no direct answers to our questions. But sometimes our questions to God are probably like, "A boat is rowing down Main St. with one oar and what's the difference between an orange?" :)

    Like the seasons, the dry times will pass - keep looking up to the Son and you will turn green again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great illustration. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Sunny & Paul.

    ReplyDelete